Board of Education
The Board of Education serves as a governing body that oversees major decisions for the District, including policies and budget. The Board also serves as a conduit for the community to voice opinions to the District and visa versa.
Leta Vander Veen
Board Goals 2017-2018
The Parchment School District will ensure that all students will read at grade level by the end of 3rd grade and maintain grade level status in years following.
- Upward achievement trends on state and local assessments
- School report card status increasing annually
- Where measurable, students will gain at least one year of growth vs. one year of instruction
- Instructional Coaching will target specific strategies for individualized implementation based on needs identified by data
- As measured by DIBELS, MStep, DORA, and District Assessments
The Parchment School District will develop a comprehensive plan that will include curriculum alignment, instructional best practices, professional development and resource needs assessment. This plan will be in alignment with the new Michigan Science Standards which are based on the Next Generation Science Standards - STEM/STEAM embedded.*
- Professional development attendance
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) lessons/units developed
- Instructional Coaching integration to include a focus on NGSS philosophies and pedagogy
- As teachers are trained in the Next Generation Science Standards, they will begin implementation of the strategies learned into the classroom
- Continued progress on curriculum maps and units that are aligned with NGSS and consistent with our commitment to a cross-curricular focus
*The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) were approved in November of 2015 by the State of Michigan. Full implementation will occur during the 2018-19 school year (at the earliest), correlating with the NGSS rollout on state assessments. Hence, this goal represents a first step in integrating the new NGSS.
The Parchment School District will allocate resources to support district goals and school improvement plans to maximize student learning while remaining fiscally responsible to the community.
- Clean / unmodified audit
- Funding is allocated for staff Professional Development to achieve stated school improvement goals
- A positive learning environment is supported through the proper maintenance and enhancement of facilities
- Funding is allocated to support curriculum, instruction, and assessments
The Parchment School District will promote the District to all constituent groups through improved communications, education, and other promotional efforts.
- Allocate funding as needed to support the goal through staffing or other promotional efforts
- Promote positive aspects of the district as a board and encourage the leadership team and staff to do the same
- Increase student enrollment through these efforts
2019 - 2020 Board Meeting Dates
The regular meetings of the Parchment Board of Education are held on the fourth Monday of each month except May 20, 2019, and June 17, 2019 (3rd Monday). Meetings are convened in the library of the Parchment High School, 1916 East G Avenue, Parchment, Michigan 49004, at 6:00 p.m. unless otherwise posted.
Operating Procedures for Parchment's Board of Education
In effective school systems, The Board of Education and the Superintendent cooperate and work in partnership. The Board of Education is entrusted by its electors and required by the State of
Michigan to act as the corporate policy making body for the school district, The Superintendent and staff provide, through Board of Education action, the leadership to cause Board policies to be
implemented. Therefore, The Parchment School District Board of Education and Superintendent
cooperate and work in partnership to enact and implement Board of Education policy.
The Parchment School District Board of Education adopts these guidelines as Standard Operating
Procedures to effectively communicate with staff and members of the district.